Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Thursday, October 25, 2007

UPDATE!!

So, I'm in Redfield with me girl now. I'm too far away from my family and friends, don't like my job and can't get along with one of Jens kids. (Yes, actually, the one the rest of the post is about.) In my defense, even JEN says it isn't me.) So things aren't going real well, and wasn't I surprised to learn how fast all this could turn insignificant.

Now, I apologize for taking so long to let ya'll know about this, but I can't talk about really serious or scary stuff right away. And this was scary as all hell.

In fact, it's so scary that, before you go any further, let me just tell you this...

Nobody died.

Ready?

Jen's 16 yr old daughter was in a severe auto accident. Witnesses said she lost it going around a curve (a little over the limit, but the wet road was the main culprit) rolled her car 6 times and was thrown thru the sunroof on the 3rd one. She suffered a broken left leg, a broken clavicle, 4 breaks in the pelvis, a broken tailbone, a bruised lung, spleen and ribs, and a lacerated kidney. Somehow, tho, no head trauma. That's right, no head trauma.

The girl is supposed to be dead. Everyone knows it. Instead, she's in the hospital for a little over a month, and she's coming home this Saturday. O, she's still mostly bedridden for the next 2 months, and there's physical therapy and all that, but the point is, she's supposed to be dead.

I'm not sure how to share the rest of it, it'd take too long. But here are some things that stand out for me.

That feeling in my stomach when Jen's boss called, and told me they were on the way so I could drive Jen to the hospital...

The horrible look in Jen's eyes. All we knew at this time is the girl had been thrown from her car and was being taken by helicopter to the hospital. Jen was staring losing a child right in the face.

The way calming Jen down and comforting her made it easier for me to handle.

The way Jen kept trying to make phone calls even when she was crying too hard to talk.

The incredible relief when we heard she was stable and conscious.

The shock I received seeing her on the stretcher as she came in. If you have ever seen a child bloody, broken, bruised and reaching for her momma, you know what I'm talking about. I cried a bit then, soon's I could get to privacy.

After that, it calmed down a bit. The doctors were talking to us every 5 minutes and the news was always good. No head trauma. Nothing wrong with the spinal cord. (She chipped a vertebra, but it doesn't matter.) She had feeling in her limbs. Then...

"...And we expect a full recovery. She's asleep right now, but you can go look at her, if you're quiet."

So she's in the hospital for a while, Jen stays with her, so after the drama goes away I'm even MORE lonely, but of course I can't complain because it's so much worse for everyone else. It's amazing how fast you settle into the routine. Work, hospital, home, lose at poker, work, hospital, home, lose at poker. lol.

Now, a little over a month later, she's coming home. Wild, huh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thax you rock xx

Jen rocks and rolls xx

You have found out what it is all about very quickly sugar

Every parents nightmare what you have both gone through

So happy she is alive and going to recover

Prays and love are sent to you all
xoxoxoxo

On a lighter note

No gutted u sure nobody is dead lol

Anonymous said...

Hi there Russ. What a terrible thing to have happened to you all. I think being a "step parent" can be a real tough job for anyone but you guys seems to have been through so much together and your still there for each otehr so keep plugging at it and remember NO teens get on with their parents.

I am glad to hear that Jens daughter is going to make a full recovery and be back on her feet soon.

Keep smiling and you will all get there.

Love and hugs

Jo xxx

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear of this, but am thankful the child is okay. I really miss reading your posts on the forum Russ. I will try to remember to check your blog regularly. Hugs to you and Jen and prayers for a good recovery for Jen's daughter.

Unknown said...

Every parents nightmare is something like this happening . It's always been my biggest fear as mine got their drivers license and started driving on their own .It's hell seeing a child suffer . Thank the powers that be that she's going to be alright ......